July 4, 2008

Challenge!


True to my original intentions with dis dat here blog, I want to try something that I do rather often to pass time and hope it turns into a regular thing I can do more often, assuming everyo0ne enjoys it. You can rest assured that if we were ever stuck on an island somewhere and there was an iPod available, we would play an awful lot of this.
I love to play Name that Tune. There I said it. They all say that the first step is admiting it.
I have put together a little clip to challenge my readers to a Name That Tune Contest.
The rules are simple. Each contest will last a week. The person to correctly name the Artist and Song title for each song in this clip shall be declared the winner and will be the sole focus of all our adulation and attention for the week following the contest, or at least until the next round starts. In the case of a tie, the tie breaker will go to the one who had their answers in the soonest.
Week 1.


If you've ever had the pleasure of walking in on me while I was beating my Pleasure Dome*, you will have seen me doing my thing to all the songs in the clip that, if I managed to do everything right, a little audio player should appear in this post. Click on the play button to hear the clip. If I messed up, or you want to download the clip you can find the audio file here (click on the link and select "Save Target As")
I won't do this every contest, but this week I will give a hint that there are a total of 11 songs in the clip. Some of them should be easy to pick out, some of them not so much. All the songs in this clip have been mainstream at some point in your life. I think this might be a tough one for you all, I wanted to set the bar a bit high out of the gate.
*In honor of a 12 minute drum solo track called the Pleasure Dome on the Van Halen Live Double Disc collection, I have christened my awe inspiring imaginary drumset that I play on by the same name.


12 comments:

Steely Dan said...

This contest is rigged. Once I read "walked in on me while I was beating my Pleasure Dome" my whole brain short-circuited. I have come down with spontaneous shudders, my brain is fuzzy, and I have a permanent taste of bile in my mouth.

How can I try to identify clips of music handicapped like that?

The Big DC said...

It's just one of those contest hazards that everyone has to deal with. Funny that Julie gets the same reaction as you did. Maybe it is me afterall :)

My Dome got a good beating for a while today too :)

Nice to know someone is still out there reading this thing. Was beginning to wonder.

Steely Dan said...

I know what you mean. Not much response from readers regarding where to get great food. I thought you would have some ideas frankly.

As for the clips, I am notoriously bad at things like this. I recongnized maybe 5 of the songs on my first listen. Not even sure i could name the titles though.

And as long as you and I are the only ones reading our blogs, take a peek at my latest. If you want to write a ghost piece to fill out Cthulhu platform, let me know.

Anonymous said...

Okay - there's a little Michael Jackson, Beat it. There's some Rush and some YES? I'll give my son a listen...I think he might do better than me...

I'm no good at remembering song titles even though I recognize 5 or 6.

Anonymous said...

One more...killing in the name of by rage against the machine.

Alex said...

Ok.. here are my picks:

1. Hungry like the wolf - Duran Duran
2. Hangin' Tough - NKOTB
3. Party All the Time - Eddie Murphy
4. You're The Inspiration - Chicago
5. Separate Lives - Phil Collins
6. The Lady In Red - Chris De Burgh
7. The Power of Love - Celine Dion
8. Feels like Heaven - Peter Cetera
9. Islands In The Stream - Dolly Parton
10. Hold On To The Nights - Richard Marx
11. The One That You Love - Air Supply

The only one I'm not sure of is #7, it could also be "I'll Always Love You" by Taylor Dayne, it's a toss up really.

MAN I ROCK!

WHO DA MAN? WHO DA MAN???? .. I am.
Suck it.

Alex said...

Wasn't there a Seinfeld episode about George's parent's walking in on him while he was beating his pleasure dome?

Ray said...

There's also a recent episode of Extras where Ricky Gervais' character repeatedly walks in on his employees doing the same, thanks to one of those strip-tease pens. You should check it out....freakin' hilarious!

My picks are:
1)?
2)?
3)?
4)?
5)?
6)?
7)Hot For Teacher
8)?
9)?
10)Tom Sawyer
11)Owner of a Lonely Heart

The Big DC said...

It's been a long week, and not too many people felt brave enough to stab at it - and one of you who decided to make a mockery of my little game. Keep that up and I'm pretty sure you'll end up on an isolated section of the island with no one to talk to but a bloodied volleyball :P

This one was pretty tough, I guess I will need to make it easier.

The answers are:
1. Unskinny Bop - Poison
2. Mr. Brownstone - GnR
3. Double Vision - Foreigner
4. Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
5. Never Say Goodbye - Bon Jovi
6. Down with the Sickness - Distubred
7. Hot For Teacher - Van Halen
8. Give it Away Now - Red Hot Chili Peppers
9. Killing in the Name Of - Rage Against the Machine
10. Tom Sawyer - Rush
11. Owner of a Lonely Heart - Yes

I have to declare Ray the winner for this week. Tan lost to Ray by one point for incorrectly choosing Beat It instead of Billie Jean. Even though Ray did not identify the artist - I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he knew them.

Ray will hold the eternally pretigious crown of the NTT title for one week. Everyone must bow in reverernce.

Anonymous said...

Burn!!!!!!!!
Make next week a guitar riff medley and my son may have a crack at it.

Oh and "Hey Girly-Boy! Ya you, Ray! You're going down, sucka. Hope that crown fits on that gargantuan cranium of yours. Who da woman, who da woman. I am. Suck it!"

Alex said...

I don't understand.. at least I tried to guess at all of them. :(

Ray said...

As with the "Prick Crown" (which has since been passed down to my gregarious brother Alex) I will wear this crown with pride.
Thank you DC for this honour.