
Well well well. After a busy and a not so long summer, I have decided to try and be a bit more faithful to this here blog and keep the content coming on a more regular basis. The break was nice, but I did kind of miss spilling my innermost thoughts into cyberspace. Hopefully, with the help of a few of my fellow bloggers we can stoke the fires of discourse and get these puppies rolling again.
Now, on to the title of this post. Buy insurance, buy lots of it. Bury a schoolbus in your backyard and fill it full of guns and ammunition. Start canning your vegetables. The end of times is near. How do I know? Simple. I am playing organized hockey - complete with real equipment and jerseys. You have to dig deep into new testament scripture to find it, but it's in there. Trust me. Me playing hockey is one of the seven signs of the Apocolypse. I bet the other boys who asked me to play didn't expect that they were courting the end of the known universe, but alas they have done it. Blame them. Actually it was Dan who really talked me into it, so you can REALLY blame him for the rivers turning to blood and the financial markets melting down. A few years from now when I sign up to play basketball, I'll give you all a few weeks notice so you can sell all your stocks and liquify all your investments.
In all seriousness - I'm really looking forward to playing; Almost as much for the chance to hang out with some good friends as the chance to play some organized hockey for the first time in my life. One thing that I think we could use some help with is coming up with a team name. We have been annointed with the default title of "The Jaguars", but I don't really think the name fits. This name implies that we are fast, agile and silently stalk and kill our prey. Now I may be going out on a limb here, but I highly doubt that any of these attributes will be on regular display on our team. So have you got any bright ideas for a team name? Lay it on me!
And boys - anyone who is interested for a little pre-season psychological conditioning, I suggest we get together and watch Slap Shot before the year kicks off.
4 comments:
How about the "Bleeding Chins" or the "Split Lips"
Based on the reaction to my blog topics, religion and US politics (both no-no's), I am already to blame (or at least an apologist)for "rivers turning to blood and the financial markets melting down." I am done courting contreversy. Nothing but milquetoast from here on out over on Strangers Here Ourselves.
But I will take credit for causing the impossible. Since SteelyDan on hockey skates was equally unlikely, maybe the two events will cancel each other out and Armageddon will be avoided.
So, team names. . . "Rock and Hardplace" leaps to mind. Of course, the way I am likely to skate, we could call ourselves the the "Stones" in reference to curling and keep the similarity humor to ourselves.
Taking a page out of our softball league, how about "The Mother Puckers", or "Go Puck Yourself", or "Puck me Gently", or "The Pucknutty Iceholes".....just some ideas, let me know what you think.
Ray - you're impossible!
The Pylons has a ring to it.
Or hey...I dunno...the Eagles? ;)
Post a Comment