December 3, 2008

WTF is in the water in Ottawa?

I am in awe. I cannot have any more awe than I do right now. I have seen alot in the 32 short years that I have been alive. I have seen Van Halen form, break-up, form again, break-up, form again, break-up and then form again..sort of. I saw a real live BETA video tape. I've seen Victor Newman sleep with every single female character on the Young and the Restless. Hell, I've even seen Alex S "win" a Chili Cook-off. I'd like to think that not much suprises me anymore. But I'll admit it. The events of this past week in Canadian politics has suprised me. And not in the "Happy Birthday - Suprise we bought you a karaoke machine!" kinda way. More like the "Surprise - you have terminal brain cancer" kinda way. What else can you say? Well there is plenty I can and want to say. I honestly could probably write a short novel on this subject right now, but I won't. I have issued myself a mental challenge to try and express all my thoughts in as consice a manner as I can. So short of any better ideas I will try to let all the crap running through my head flow out in point form. No promises on it being short.


  • Is anyone else out there sick and tired of politicians playing roulette with our lives?
  • If there was ever any doubt, is everyone finally convinced that politics can completely blind you to any semblance of reality?
  • Wouldn't it be nice to have a Prime Minister who is both Strategically and Tactically brilliant?
  • Stephen Harper is strategically brilliant.
  • Stephen Harper is about as tactically brilliant as a bull in a china shop.
  • Does Stephane Dion make anyone else's skin crawl?
  • Does anyone else look for their wallets every time Jack Layton opens his mouth?
  • Does anyone else fear that Michelle Jean is seriously underqualified to make any decision this important to the country?
  • Does anyone else agree that even though he is a seperatist troll that Gilles Duceppe is the most honest politician in Ottawa?
  • Does anyone else fear that Gilles Duceppe is strategically and tactically brilliant?
  • Does anyone else think that Gilles will use this opportunity, if it materializes, to hold the other two stooges hostage to leverage whatever he can for La Belle Province?
  • Does anyone else understand that those other two idiots are so power hungry they will agree to anything to stay in power?
  • Does anyone else agree that removing public funding for political parties is an incredibly good idea?
  • Does anyone else agree that the timing to hatch such an idea was incredibly bad?
  • Has onyone else lost track of all the political double-speak going on in Ottawa these days?
  • Is anyone else tired of watching grown adults act like phucking 4 year olds while they are supposedly at work?
  • Does anyone agree that in the best interest of democracy that the ONLY option when a government is defeated is to call an election?
  • Does anyone else agree that an election seems to be the most responsible thing to do in this situation?
  • Is anyone else pissed about the fact that we just had a useless election and yet still need to consider this scenario?
  • Does anyone else worry that the Governor General will not be responsible?
  • Does anyone else want to stuff a sock in Elizabeth May's mouth?
  • Does anyone else think that all 3 party leaders need to be replaced - soon?
  • Does anyone else lament that no matter the outcome of the past few days, that anything resembling governance has stopped in Ottawa for the time being?
  • Does ayone else out there believe that anything resembling governance stopped coming out of Ottawa a LONG time ago?
  • Does anyone else think that the Asshat Coalition has no friggin' clue what they are doing when it comes to the economy?
  • Does anyone else think that people need to learn to live within their means again?
  • Does anyone else think that all corporations should also learn to live within their means?
  • Unions suck.
  • Is anyone else out there starting to realise that personal greed is the ultimate cause of all this economic and political turmoil?
  • Is anyone else out there ready to run for Prime Minister?

There - I'm spent.

5 comments:

Alex said...

AWESOME BLOG ENTRY!
This is what a blog entry should look like. I love it. RANT BABY!
I have to be honest, I am so not connected to what has been happening lately. I have always hated politics, and this kind of thing just makes me roll my eyes at best.
I agree with a lot you are saying here.
I think it's time to GO GREEN.

Unknown said...

Alex - You can't seriously think the GREENS are an option. On the positive side if the Greens get a say, we'd all have more time for poker; the negative - we wouldn't have any money to play with so we'd be betting our household appliances.

DC - great post. Covered all my frustrations. I have written to the GG, Dion (only thing that makes me sicker than Dion is corn in Chili), and peckerhead Layton. If this coalition goes forward, I'm moving to Quebec where the women are beautiful and the government pays for everything.

Anonymous said...

To answer your questions, Darren....

Yes
Yes
Yes, please!
I agree
I agree
Yes - he's creepy
Yes...and my watch and I change my P.I.N.
No
No
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes - a long time ago.
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes - very!
No
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
No!

Steely Dan said...

Darren,
Great post and I would answer yes to half the questions, and "I don't know" to the others as I am on unfamiliar terrain, though I suspect if I knew better I would agree with you.

Your frustration gives voice to a unfairly vilified political philosophy addressing all of your questions: Conservatism. In basic terms Conservatism abhors runaway government, venerates freedom, personal accountability and responsibility, and recognizes that people are prone to corruption and greed. Hence the need to retain as much decision making as possible in the hands of as many people as possible, namely us.

Regarding Harper being tactically challenged, you are probably right. But this is not over. There is a backlash against the Liberal and NDP building. Harper may come out ahead on this one.

Of course he may not have foreseen those benefits. But this illustrates another consequence of centralized decision making that the Left and the Right forget at their peril, the law of unintended consequences. Most times, centrally planned or one-size-fits-all solutions are worse than the problems.

Finally, take heart. Often the hardest and best action to take, is no action at all. There could be some very strong benefits to a suspended and inactive Parliament.

PS - Tan, for someone who once told me that most people are not capable of making the important decisions themselves (and we must therefore rely on government to make them for us), your consistent answers surprise and encourage me!

Ry Guy said...

Nice summary of what I am feeling about the current state of Canadian Political Affairs. It's no wonder I always despised Social Studies.